Sunday, November 9, 2014

Still Dreaming

When I was fifteen and almost failing English class, I decided I wanted to write a book. Why would someone who hated the subject at school suddenly want to write a book? An idea came to me when I was washing the dishes and I had to get it out.

I wrote that book in a few months. And I wrote another one...and another one...and another... I'm on my 4th middle grade novel now. It'll be a long work in progress but I feel like I have good people and good direction and am finally on the right track.

I wasn't always self motivated. I had it pounded (literally) into my head after 15 years of martial arts that taught me to keep a positive attitude and to never give up. I used to be very negative to myself, thinking I can't do that, I'm not smart enough for this, or I'm just not good enough. But when I reached my first goal of becoming a black belt, I was compelled to succeed again. And my next goal was to get a degree in engineering, even though I had to start at classes below college level. When I completed that goal, I felt invincible. I can do anything! And I've always wanted to publish a book and even though I have no publishing credit to date after 14 years, I truly believe if you want something and work hard for it, you will succeed.

I hope this will inspire you to dream big, work hard, expect to fail, and persist!

No comments:

Post a Comment